Create your own tomato salsa recipe with Haskins Garden Centres
Haskins is encouraging gardeners to make the most of their home-grown tomatoes with a delicious salsa recipe for summer.
Alasdair Urquhart, plant advisor at Haskins Garden Centres, commented: “Growing your own tomatoes is simple and rewarding. Most tomato plants will begin to ripen in August, providing plenty of delicious tomatoes for late summer.
“Start picking your tomatoes when the fruit is ripe and fully coloured. If cropping slows in early autumn, we suggest gathering any green fruit and keeping it in a warm, dark place to help it ripen.”
Haskins has created a tomato salsa recipe, for those wanting to cook up a storm with their home-grown tomatoes.
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Juice of 1 lime
- Small splash of white wine vinegar
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Finely chop the tomatoes and coriander (include the stalks). Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the onion, add to the bowl.
- Grate the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Add a splash of white wine vinegar and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add lime juice, if needed.
- Can be served straightaway or for extra punch, set aside for a few hours to let the flavours develop further.
Tomato salsa is the perfect summer accompaniment for a picnic lunch, fajitas, grilled fish and meat – and plenty of other dishes.
Haskins has centres in Ferndown in Dorset, West End in Southampton and Roundstone and Snowhill in West Sussex. For more information visit www.haskins.co.uk